Are you familiar with the Term Technical SEO? I bet you might have heard about it somewhere on the Internet if you are blogger, webmaster or a website owner.
So what is it, Why it’s Important? If these are your concerns right now then Don’t worry, I will explain to You what is Technical SEO in detail and I will also give you a Technical SEO Checklist to help you to audit your site for technical SEO.
So are you excited for the ride, Let;s get started.
So first things First, What is technical SEO?
- What is Technical SEO?
- Technical SEO Checklist
- FAQs Related TO Technical SEO + Technical SEO Checklist
What is Technical SEO?
Technical SEO refers to optimizing the technical aspects of your website such as optimizing your website loading speed, your website structure, optimizing your content, and making a user-friendly content, etc.
And in today’s training, you are going to learn exactly the same and you will find out how to perform complete technical SEO optimization for your website.
So let’s get started.
Technical SEO Checklist
So here’s the Technical SEO checklist as promised, this will help you to get started with the technical SEO of your website. Make sure you go through each and every point because a little thing ignored can cause a big problem in the future.
1. Make your blog load faster – Technical SEO Checklist
Making our blog load faster is the first thing that we should consider while performing technical SEO.
As you already know a slow loading blog can potentially harm your SEO efforts and also it may cause a Google penalty for your blog.
So it’s better to be safe from those things by Making our blog load faster as fast as we can.
You check the page load speed of your blog using the below-mentioned websites.
So here’s a list of things that you should consider for making your blog load blazing fast as a Rocket.
- Avoid loading your blog with too much stuff, remove unnecessary widgets.
- Compress images of your blog with an image compression plugin, I use the Ewww image optimizer plugin.
- Avoid no of redirects in your site
- Use a good hosting service (I recommend Siteground)
- Use a caching plugin in your blog, I use WProcket
- Install a fast loading theme for your blog (I use Generatepress)
- Enable lazy loading for images
- Use a CDN: Cloudflare FREE CDN is enough
- Leverage browser caching
- Enable gzip compression
- Use genuine and updated themes and plugins
- Remove unnecessary plugins and themes
- Remove query strings from static resources.
So that’s how you can speed up your blog and make it load faster.
2. Website functionality and usability – Technical SEO Checklist
Here’s a checklist to make sure your blog is a functional and well-built blog.
- Make sure your blog is mobile-friendly (use this tool to find out if your blog is mobile-friendly or not)
- Make sure your blog uses a secure SSL certificate.
- Make sure the URLs of your content is not more than 50 – 60 characters
- Set https:// as the preferred version of your website’s url
- If you have deleted your old content, or have migrated your whole blog then set proper 302 redirects for that content to better content.
- Make sure your blog is crawlable and your robots.txt is not blocking search engines to access your content
- Make sure you have a robots.txt in place for your blog
- Noindex categories and tags pages with the help of Rankmath SEO plugin
- Generate a sitemap for your blog using RankMath SEO Plugin.
- Make sure your Google analytics tracking system is working properly.
- Use this site command to find out how many pages of your blog are indexed in search engines. Site:your website.com this will show all the pages of your blog indexed in search engines, and note down all the URLs you want to be removed and submit removal in Google search console
- Make sure your website’s WordPress login page is not indexed in search engines.
So this is how you can Optimize the functionality and usability of your blog and make your blog more technical SEO optimized.
3. Content optimization – Technical SEO Checklist
Here’s a checklist for making sure your content is in the best standing and is technically Maintained.
- Redirect broken links on your blog with a working URL.
- Audit your old Content and make it updated with fresh data
- Get rid of duplicate content, use a plagiarism checker tool for making sure you are safe from any plagiarism.
- Avoid targeting the same keyword on multiple pages and posts, this can lean to keyword cannibalization.
- Keep a reasonable number of links on a page, don’t flood your posts and pages with lots of internal and external links, this may harm your SEO
- Make sure every page and post of your blog are targeting a keyword to get the maximum benefit of search engine rankings.
- Make sure your blog does not have thin content (pages/posts with very less value) if your blog has pages with thin content then make sure you add lots of value to those posts and pages and make it valuable.
4. Creating User Friendly Website – Technical SEO Checklist
A user-friendly blog is key to getting higher search engine traffic to your blog, so we have to make sure our blog is user friendly and well optimized.
Here some of the tips that you can follow for making your blog user friendly.
- Add and configure AMP for your blog
- Add breadcrumbs for better navigation throughout your blog
- Test your blog on as many devices as possible to make sure your blog is loading correctly on all types of devices
- Create a silo structure for better navigation in your blog and it also gives a massive boost in search engine traffic and ranking of keywords
- Check-in google analytics which device is giving you the highest bounce rate and find out why it is so and optimize for that device accordingly.
- Make sure your blog is easily accessible to search engine crawlers and Humans.
- Add a search button on your blog to help your readers find what they want to read, this is especially useful for bigger blogs with lots of content.
- Redirect all the 404 pages to your homepage.
- Audit your blog backlinks, where they are coming from, remove all the spammy backlinks pointing to your blog, spammy backlinks can harm your rankings and SEO.
- Check if Google Analytics code is missing from any of the pages of your blog: use GAchecker.com for doing this.
- Make sure your blog is connected to Google search console and your blog does not have any coverage issues
- Make sure you have submitted your blog’s sitemap in google search console
So that’s how you can do proper technical SEO for your blog.
And technical SEO is one of the main aspects of making sure your blog gets the maximum amount of search engine traffic to your blog.
So do all the above mentioned technical SEO analysis and make your blog posts rank higher in search engines.
Action step for today: Do the technical SEO for your blog using the above-mentioned methods.
So that’s all for today’s Training and I hope you totally enjoyed it.
Technical SEO is a vital part of a website, ignore this and you will suffer severe consequences. That’s why you should never ignore technical SEO.
So after reading this guide i hope you have grasped a good knowledge of technical SEO, Why it’s Important and how to do it.
So Now go ahead and audit the technical SEO part of your website, who know’s there might be a small loophole which is keeping your website to be ranked in search engines.
Thanks for reading this article.
FAQs Related TO Technical SEO + Technical SEO Checklist
Is Technical SEO Easy?
Frankly speaking, it’s not an easy thing to do but as you get used to it, it will not feel like a burden or a hard task. Just follow our technical SEO checklist discussed above and you will be well on your way.
What is included in Technical SEO?
The 4 main parts of technical SEO are:
- Website Speed optimization
- Functionality Optimization
- Content Optimization
- Creating a user friendly website.
We have discussed all the above 4 parts of technical SEO in tour technical seo checklist above.
What should you fix first while working on technical SEO?
You should fix your site structure and functionality of your website first while working on technical SEO. and then you can move on to content optimization part etc.
You can also follow along all the Technical SEO Checklist given above in the article that will help you to improve the Technical SEO of your website.
What is the purpose of technical SEO?
Technical SEO plays a very crucial role in the success of a website, in fact, most of the things of your website are impacted by the technical SEO, like if the speed of your website is good then your rankings on the search engines will be low as google prefers to show the results of a website on its SERP which are fast loading and if the content on your website is not good like if its copied from somewhere or the duplicate content issue then also you may see a drop in your rankings.
So that’s why doing technical SEO for your website is as important as doing any other part of SEO like ON page SEO, OFF Page SEO, etc.